Salon-de-Provence and its fantastic heritage has more tricks up its sleeve!
You’ll see countless statues as you wander around town… They’re all a feast for the eyes…
Adam de Craponne statue
Place de l’hôtel de ville
It pays tribute to Adam de Craponne (1526-1576); the engineer and designer of the canal that bears his name and irrigates the area. In recognition of his work, the 22 towns and villages engraved on the monument helped fund the statue.
When Gambetta died in 1882, Salon Council decided to change the square’s name to pay tribute to the man who protected France during the Franco-Prussian War.
Place de la Croix was renamed Place Gambetta in 1883. The council decided to build a landmark fountain in the middle (on Place de la Croix which was moved a few metres). The Franco-Prussian veteran society donated a commemorative monument to the town. It was built by Gautier, an architect in Paris, and the statue maker Paul Moreau Vauthier. The bronze monument was unveiled on June 28th 1903 by Camille Pelletan, the Navy Minister.
Antoine-Blaise Crousillat bust (1814 – 1899)
The thoughtful poet loved his town so much that he didn’t leave. Antoine.Blaise Crousillat is one of the biggest names in 19th century Provençal literature.
The modest and unassuming poet was on the sidelines of the Félibréen movement and settled for celebrating his land… His bronze bust is by Farigoule and was placed here in 1914. Its pedestal has the town’s coat of arms, acanthus, embossed leather, olive branches and two excerpts from his La Bresco and L’Eissame texts.
“Le sublime réveil” by Eugène Piron
Saint Roch cemetery memorial
Salon Council began raising funds to build a memorial on August 9th 1919. The chosen site was Saint Roch cemetery’s cliff. A tender was held in 1923 and the project by the sculptor Eugène Piron won the vote. The monument is carved entirely into the rock and depicts a hole that seems to go down to the vault where the dead are laid to rest.
Place de la révolution
The anti-clerical population at the time said that “Saint Michel (the church on the edge of the square) has turned its back on the French Republic so as not to see the bust of Marianne.” The district’s water supply came from Les Aubes resort and spurted out of four small lions’ mouths from the 19th century.
Modern statue of Nostradamus
Place des Anciennes Halles :
This bronze statue depicts Nostradamus holding different symbols and was made by François Bouché. It was built in 1966 on the Carrefour de l’Arceau crossroads (Allées de Craponne). It was knocked over by a lorry in 1969; the council ordered another (now on Avenue Guynemer) but the original was restored in 1999 and moved closer to the famous figure’s home.
Statue of Nostradamus
Place du Général de Gaulle
The piece was donated to the town in 1867 by a sculpture student, Monsieur Ré who came from Salon. It was on top of a fountain at the start of the century that no longer stands. The Cordeliers Convent was where Nostradamus was previously buried on Rue des Cordeliers behind the statue.
Camille Pelletan statue (1846 – 1915)
Place de la ferrage (place de la grippe)
It’s more of a crossroads than a square, it was built and expanded in 1836. It takes its name from its location on the crossroads in the middle of the mistral. It was enlarged and planted with trees. Its name was changed in 1970 to Eugène Pelletan in tribute to the politician..
Mémorial Jean Moulin (1899 – 1943)
On the RN 538 highway between Salon-de-Provence and Sénas near where the Resistance fighter landed. The piece by the sculptor Marcel Courbier, this being his third monument for Jean Moulin, is undoubtedly the best. The Salon monument is completely original and one of a kind. It’s the most impressive memorial devoted to Jean Moulin in Bouches du Rhône.
It stands in the place his parachute is assumed to have landed on January 1st 1942 on his return from England where he’d met General de Gaulle to unite the three main Resistance movements, organise and structure the future secret army. The memorial depicts a stylised parachuter.