Salon-de-Provence, with its rich heritage, continues to surprise!
As you walk around you will discover many statues, each one finer than the next...
Adam Craponne, hydraulics engineer, rerouted the waters of the Durance to irrigate the plains of Salon, and used the waters of the Durance to power the mills. The water arrived in Salon-de-Provence in 1559.
In addition to this fountain, a bust is visible in the hall of the Hôtel de Ville.
This Craponne fountain replaced a fountain built in 1760. It was commissioned by the town and inaugurated on 22 October 1854 during an agricultural competition.
It is in honour of Adam de Craponne (1526-1576), the engineer and designer of the canal bearing his name, which irrigated the land. The 22 towns whose names are inscribed on the monument contributed financially to its creation out of gratitude.
Four sprites frame two texts. One of them, in Provençal, means:
- "Burnt and overcome by thirst, alas, Salon saw its poor land wilt. Its child Craponne acted like a father, giving it more than enough water"
It was written by Palamède Tronc de Codolet.
The Latin quatrain can be translated:
- "Craponne had pity on the thirst of Salon which he loved And gave water and gaiety to its dismal land".
This group by the Aix sculptor Marius Ramus is adorned with a statue of the great man, who overlooks the precious water coming from the Aubes water plant.
"The Sublime Awakening".
On 9 August 1919, Salon's municipal council launched a fund for the building of a war memorial. The site selected was the cliff of the Saint Roch cemetery. A competition was organised in 1923, and the sculptor Eugène Piron won all the votes.
The monument was cut completely from the rock, representing an opening which appears to lead to the vault where the deceased are laid.
At the entrance to this opening, a bugle sounds the “Sublime Awakening which summons the massed image of those who sleep there." The bugle is the modern version of the angel sounding the Last Judgement and the Resurrection.
The monument was solemnly inaugurated on 11 November 1925 and is recognised by everyone as unique in its kind. Eugène Piron committed suicide on 17 November 1928. He was buried in the St-Roch cemetery, alongside the sons of Salon who died for France, at the foot of the work which immortalised him.
On the death of Gambetta in 1882, the Municipal Council of Salon decided to change the name of this square as a tribute to the man who defended France against the Prussians in the 1870-1871 war.
Place de la Croix (Cross Square) therefore became Place Gambetta (Gambetta Square) in 1883.
The town decided to build a monumental fountain at its centre (replacing the cross which was moved a few metres). The Société Fraternelle des Combattants (Fraternal Society of Combatants) from 1870-1871 donated a commemorative monument to the town.
It was built by the architect Gautier in Paris and the statuary Paul Moreau Vauthier. The bronze monument was inaugurated on 28 June 1903 by Camille Pelletan, Minister of the Navy.
The work of sculptor Pierre Courbier, this is the most impressive memorial dedicated to the memory of Jean Moulin in the Bouches-du-Rhône.
It was set up near the supposed site of his parachute landing on 1 January 1942, on his return from England where he met General de Gaulle in order to unify the three main resistance movements, and organise and structure the future secret army.
The memorial represents a stylised parachutist. It was inaugurated on 28 September 1969 by Jacques Chaban-Delmas, a French Resistance fighter and the then Prime Minister.www.memorialjeanmoulin.fr
Another contemplative poet, who loved his town to such a point that he focussed on it exclusively, Crousillat is one of the great names of the Provençal literary renaissance in the 19th century.
Modest and unassuming, he remained on the fringe of the "Félibrean" movement, content to sing praises of his land.
His bronze statue is signed "Farigoule", and was placed here in 1914, on a pedestal where one can discover the city emblem, acanthus, tooled leather, olive branches and two excerpts from his works "La Bresco" and "l'Eissame".
The former Place de la Grippe (Influenza Square) is more a crossroads than a square. It was developed and enlarged in 1836, and owed its name to its location at the junction of roads exposed to the Mistral wind. Enlarged and enhanced with trees, it changed its name in 1970, as a tribute to the politician Eugène Pelletan.
In 1922 a committee was set up to erect a statue in honour of Camille Pelletan, Eugène's son. The sculptor Auguste Carli made it from Cassis stone. It was inaugurated on 2 September 1923 by Edouard Herriot. In 1964 the radical party judged the statue to be poorly sited and requested that it be placed elsewhere. It was therefore transferred to Place de la Ferrage where it is today.
Camille Pelletan [1846- 1915]:
A law graduate and former student of the Ecole Nationale des Chartes (National School of Palaeography and Archival Studies). At twenty years of age he became a journalist and was deeply implicated in the criticism of the regime of the Emperor Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte.
After the Franco-German war of 1870, he was one of the main radical leaders and rebelled against the Republican "opportunists" who perpetuated the politics of Leon Gambetta. From 1880 onwards he worked successfully for the review of the sentences of Republicans who had been part of the Commune de Paris government.
He was Member of Parliament for the Bouches-du-Rhône from 1881 to 1912, and then Senator of the Bouches-du-Rhône from 1912 to 1915. He became a member of the radical Socialist party at its inception and personifies its most progressive wing.
Michel De NOSTREDAME - (1503-1566) doctor, Astrophile
NOSTRADAMUS "Nous donnons ce qui est à nous".
Telle est la traduction de NOSTRA DAMUS, surnom que choisit Michel de Nostredame, marquant sa quête de connaissances et sa volonté d'en faire bénéficier le plus grand nombre.
Cette devise s'applique autant à l'Homme qu'à Salon qui cultive la transmission du savoir.
Figure emblématique de la Renaissance, Nostradamus, est né le 14 décembre 1503 à Saint-Rémy de Provence, s'établit à Salon à l'âge de 44 ans (en 1547) et y demeure jusqu'à sa mort le 2 juillet 1566. Maniant avec aisance le latin, le grec, l'hébreu ou encore l'italien, il est avant tout médecin. A une époque où le seul remède contre la peste consiste à "partir vite, loin et revenir tard", il est parmi les premiers à proposer des mesures d'asepsie.
"Médecin-astrophile", il étudie, suivant le courant humaniste, chaque maladie et chaque partie du corps en fonction de la disposition des constellations et des planètes.
C'est cette étude de l'astrologie qui l'amènera à faire imprimer, en 1555, ses fameuses "Centuries", prophéties qui lui doivent encore aujourd'hui sa mystérieuse réputation de visionnaire. Avant tout fidèle à sa volonté de transmettre le savoir, il ne manque pas d'utiliser la toute jeune invention de l'imprimerie pour diffuser ses écrits
Place Général de Gaulle
This structure was donated to the town in 1867 by a sculpture student, Joseph Ré, who was born in Salon.
At the beginning of the century it surmounted a fountain that has now disappeared.
The convent of the same name in which Nostradamus was earlier buried in the past is in the Rue de Cordeliers behind the statue.
Place des Anciennes Halles :
This bronze statue represents Nostradamus holding several different symboles; it is the work of François Bouché. 14 workers worked on its design in Italy.
The statue was erected in 1966 at the Arceauc intersection (allée de craponne).
In 1969, it was hit by a truck; the city ordered another (found today at avenue Guynemer), but the original work was restored in 1999 and placed near the home of this famous person.
Municipal Archives Department of Salon-de-Provence
Salon-de-Provence's archives comprise all the documents produced or received by the town since it has had constituted power, that is to say since the 13th century to the present day!Archives Municipales
Hôtel de Ville, BP 120. 13657 Salon-de-Provence
Tél : 04-90-44-89-00 / Fax : 04-90-56-08-12