As you walk around you will discover many fountains and statues, each one finer than the next.
Situated at place Crousillat
A real mascot of the town, the Fontaine Moussue (Mossy Fountain) already existed in the 16th century and was a prominent place for walks and a meeting place for the people of Salon, who came to enjoy its coolness. Place des Arbres (Tree Square), now Place Crousillat, already boasted a fountain in the 16th century.
On the decision of the town council in 1765, the current Grande Fontaine was built by the sculptor Maurice Bernus in 1775.
Hidden in the moss from which it took its name, this fountain, also used as a drinking trough during the Transhumance, is surmounted by two basins. Limestone concretions developed on it, welding the two basins together, as did the moss and the other plant life that now gives it this very unusual shape.
The square takes its name from the famous 19th-century poet, Antoine Blaise Crousillat. The larger Fontaine Moussue is decorated with four masks from which water spouts, framed by four lions' heads. The smaller Fontaine Moussue, located on Place Louis Blanc, has a crown decorated with mouldings.This construction was built of "good quality" stone from the Eyguières quarry, to bring water from Font de Maïre.This spring, located north of Salon in Les Canourgues, had fed all the town's fountains since the Middle Ages
Place de l'Hôtel de Ville
This Craponne fountain replaced a fountain built in 1760. It was commissioned by the town and inaugurated on 22 October 1854 during an agricultural competition. It is in honour of Adam de Craponne (1526-1576), the engineer and designer of the canal bearing his name, which irrigated the land.
The 22 towns whose names are inscribed on the monument contributed financially to its creation out of gratitude. Four sprites frame two texts. One of them, in Provençal, means "Burnt and overcome by thirst, alas, Salon saw its poor land wilt. Its child Craponne acted like a father, giving it more than enough water"; it was written by Palamède Tronc de Codolet.
The Latin quatrain can be translated "Craponne had pity on the thirst of Salon which he loved And gave water and gaiety to its dismal land".
This group by the Aix sculptor Marius Ramus is adorned with a statue of the great man, who overlooks the precious water coming from the Aubes water plant.
Cours Gimon (opposite the Tourist Office)
This milestone fountain was built, if we are to believe the inscription on the pediment, on 15 August 1859. The mayor at that time, Fidèle Reynaud, ordered its construction to honour Robert de Lamanon, 1752-1787, a skilled naturalist and geologist who took part in the La Pérouse expedition and was killed at the age of 35 on the island of Maouna.
This small four-sided construction is decorated on three sides with cartouches representing plants (wheat, vine, flowers, and fruit), while the fourth side is decorated with a female mask spouting water from the Aubes water plant.
It is surmounted by a decorative metal vase. The construction was restored for the first time in 1988. The lower half was worked on again in 2006, during the restoration of the avenues of the town centre.
Place de la Révolution
In 1889 this square was named Place de la Révolution.
The fountain that decorates it was built in 1903 in response to a petition by the district's residents who demanded access to drinking water in the vicinity.
This fountain is comprised of a basin with an obelisk decorated with a palm and surmounted by a bust of Marianne made by Garnier. The anti-clerical population of the period said that "Saint Michel (the church on the square) turns his back on the Republic so as not to see the bust of Marianne".
The water, which supplied the district, comes from the Aubes water plant, used from the 19th century, and spouts from the mouth of four small lions.
There was already a well on this site in 1704.
During the paving of the street, the town council decided to take advantage of the worksite and transform the well into a fountain. This was done in 1761. It was enlarged in 1895, to meet the increasing needs of the district's residents.
place Louis Blanc
This fountain is probably very old, as it already existed in 1770.
Its shape is the same as that of Fontaine Moussue (Mossy Fountain), with two basins superimposed, before the moss covered them.
On 21 April 1883, by decree, the Minister of the Interior requested that the towns of France give the name of Louis Blanc, 1812-1830, to one of their squares. Blanc was a historian and politician, and was the founder of "Le Progrès" (Progress) magazine in 1839. He was also a member of the National Assembly where he held a seat among the extreme left-wing. Together with Gambetta, he defended the Republic against those who hoped for a restoration of the Monarchy.
The Trez-Castel fountain was built in 1882 to provide drinking water for the residents of the district who had been asking for it for 30 years. The municipal council chose the architect Teissier to do this work.
It was the moving of a fountain on Place de la Grippe (now Place Camille Pelletan) and the relocation of the canal supplying it in 1863, which facilitated the supply of Trez-Castel fountain with water from the Aubes water plant.
This is the last public wash house still in existence in Salon.
Following a report in 1937 mentioning the problem of the lack of water, space and drainage, it was transformed into a standing wash house. However, it remained unsheltered and exposed to the wind, which bothered the district's women, who used it not only for washing but as a place to meet.
It was restored in 2006-2007.
Municipal Archives Department of Salon-de-Provence
Salon-de-Provence's archives comprise all the documents produced or received by the town since it has had constituted power, that is to say since the 13th century to the present day!Archives Municipales
Hôtel de Ville, BP 120. 13657 Salon-de-Provence
Tél : 04-90-44-89-00 / Fax : 04-90-56-08-12